2009 Sandstone Merlot
Our 2009 Sandstone Merlot exhibits aromas and flavors of black cherry, blackberry and plum with hints of black tea and toasted oak. A smooth mouthfeel and inviting tannis lead to a long, fruity finish.
The grapes for our Sandstone Merlot come from a gently sloping formation of hills running along the southeastern corner of the historic Livermore Valley. With warm days, cool nights, well-drained sandstone soils, and incoming breezes from the San Francisco Bay, the Wente family’s hillside vineyard is an ideal place to grow outstanding Merlot.
Each vineyard was harvested and fermented separately in upright stainless steel fermenters. Rack and return, which is the process of draining all of the free-run juice off the cap and then returning the free-run juice back over the top of the fermenter, was performed twice daily. This method increases the color and tannin extractions and improves mouthfeel through the integration of oxygen.
This wine was aged for 16 months in American, French, Eastern European, and neutral oak.
- Gold Medal, San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition, January 2012
- 88pts, Wine Access, Canada, July 2012
- 88pts Silver Medal, California State Fair, June 2012
- Silver Medal, Best of the Bay Wine Competition, May 2012
- Silver Medal, Dallas Morning News Wine Competition, February 2012