For 138 years, sustainability has been at the core of everything that we do and we aim to continuously improve our practices year over year while maintaining quality, from vine to glass. We are proud to support like-minded organizations with similar goals as us. This year we are excited to partner with the nonprofit organization, Kiss the Ground. From May through August 2021, Wente Vineyards will be donating $0.25 per bottle of wine sold to Kiss the Ground – up to $30,000.
Kiss the Ground is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit on a mission to awaken people to the possibilities of regeneration and inspire participation in this movement through media, communications, education, workshops, immersive programming, and advocacy.
As a California Certified Sustainable Vineyard & Winery, reducing our impact on the environment is extremely important to us. Wente Vineyards proudly represents less than 4% of wineries that are Certified Sustainable as both vineyard and winery.
Our sustainable farming practices include:
- Running a no-till system: Keeps carbon in the soil. Which benefits the vines, soil and atmosphere.
- Sustainable irrigation: stop-flow sensors that show how much water is needed for wines to save water.
- Natural pest Management: 50 Owl boxes for efficient gopher control, as well as a Falconer--which reduces grape loss.
- Recycled water methods: water used is put into a water reclamation pond where it is treated and reused in our vineyards.
- Monarch tractors: Investing in electric tractors to reduce emissions and use clean energy to harvest our vineyards.
Wente practices regenerative agriculture which aims to capture carbon in soil and aboveground biomass, reversing current global trends of atmospheric accumulation. At the same time, it offers increased yields, resilience to climate instability, and higher health and vitality for farming and ranching communities. The system draws from decades of scientific and applied research by the global communities of indigenous people, organic farming, agroecology, Holistic Management, and agroforestry.
Since being established in 2013 with the goal of creating societal awareness around the extraordinary potential of healthy soil, Kiss the Ground has educated and activated millions. In 2020, Kiss the Ground release a full-length documentary, narrated by Woody Harrelson, shedding light on the importance of regenerative agriculture, which can be streamed worldwide on Netflix.
Together, we can build a clean and sustainable future one bottle at a time. Support Kiss the Ground this Earth Month by purchasing certified sustainable wine.
Shop Sustainable Wines
For every bottle sold .25 is donated to Kiss the Ground